Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Things you never want to hear while teaching....

My fourth grade group came into my classroom today, and had a ton of exciting things to tell me about before we started the lesson.  I always give them a few minutes to ask all of their questions, so then we can get down to business. 

One of the first questions that was asked by my bi-lingual boys was "How do babies eat while they are inside their mother's stomachs?"  Now this question was completely unexpected. There was no context for their question nor a reason for it.  Before I could even get the words out of my mouth (because I was in utter shock), one of the other girls tells them "Well they are fed by a wire that is connected from the mother to the child." 

This seemed to pacify the boy and then the follow up question to this was "Well, how to the babies get out of the mothers tummy?"  At this point, I was about to just give up answering anything and just get them into the lesson, however the boys had other plans.  Another boy proceeds to answer that the child is ripped out of the mothers stomach.  "That seems like it would hurt a lot, I am sure glad I cannot have babies, cause you know Ms. Schmidt, I am a boy."  "Yes, thank you JV, I did not realize that..."  Sigh, can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment